Babies know only one way to communicate every uncomfortable feeling – a cry. It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s loud, and it definitely gets the message across. At the very least, they get us to stop whatever the hell it is that we’re doing, and take notice. But if they thought that just getting us to take notice is going to solve their problem, they’re being babies. 😜
Over the last six months of being a parent, I’ve come to realise that finding out why your baby is crying is the key to tackling the problem. But here’s the hard part: There could be a 101 different reasons (that I know of) for your baby’s cry. I’m sure there are many, many more, but here’s something to get you started. If your baby is crying and you aren’t able to calm him or her down, you may use this list as a reference to at least identify the cause of your baby’s discomfort.
101 Reasons Babies Cry
1. Baby is hungry.
2. Baby has a dirty diaper.
3. Baby is thirsty.
4. Baby is sleepy.
5. Baby is hurt.
6. It’s too hot.
7. It’s Monday. Who said babies don’t get Monday Blues? Mine goes crazy on Monday or the day after a mid-week holiday when her dad’s at home and then she’s stuck with me alone the following day.v
8. It’s 3 AM, perfect time to cry.
9. A loud noise startled her.
10. It’s Janauary and it’s too cold.
11. You walked into the room and woke her up.
12. She’s teething.
13. You look different and baby can’t recognise you.
14. She didn’t have milk when you offered it to her and now it’s ten minutes later and suddenly she’s starving.
15. It’s 8 PM and she doesn’t want to go to bed.
16. You’re breastfeeding her in your arms and she wants to be fed while lying down.
17. It’s too cold.
18. Her tummy hurts.
19. She fell asleep in your arms and woke up in the crib and it’s not familiar.
20. You kept her in the bathtub for too long.
|I just wanted to play with her.
21. It’s February and it’s too short.
22. It’s 4 AM and baby thinks it’s a good time to wake the neighbours up.
23. It’s Tuesday and baby’s still not over her Monday Blues.
24. Sleep regression. Enough said.
25. You kissed her while she was asleep. True Story.
26. You took her out of the tub too early.
27. Baby wants a toy but can’t reach it.
28. You just sat down to have a cup of tea/coffee.
29. She was comfortably settled on the bed and you picked her up.
30. You wore a different perfume than usual and she prefers your body odour.
31. It’s March and it’s too colourful.
32. She skipped a nap and is cranky.
33. Baby’s diaper has leaked and she’s icky.
34. She wants to sit upright on your lap.
35. Baby is scared.
36. You took away the toy she had in her hand.
37. You want to take a good family picture.
38. It’s April and it’s too busy for Papa.
39. Baby’s diaper has leaked and her clothes are wet.
40. It’s 5 AM and Mamma and Papa are not in a mood to play with her.
|I wanted a good picture with her on her half-birthday.
41. She rolled over on her mat and her head hit the floor.
42. You’re attending a wedding and she wants to be home.
43. You’re at a social gathering and she’s overwhelmed.
44. Baby doesn’t like the toy she has.
45. It’s May and it’s too hot.
46. It’s Wednesday and that’s too long a name and too complicated a spelling for a day.
47. It’s 6 AM and Mamma and Papa are forcing her to go back to sleep.
48. Your phone vibrated while she was alseep.
49. You thought 2 AM was a good time to change her diaper. She disagrees.
50. You decided to cuddle with her.
51. The doorbell rang and woke her up.
52. You have people visiting and she wants to sleep.
53. You have hot food on your plate.
54. Baby doesn’t want to be carried.
55. You didn’t let her drink the bath water.
56. It’s June and it’s dull.
57. You look nice and baby doesn’t like it. She prefers you look like a homeless person.
58. You handed her to someone and she wanted to be with you.
59. Thursdays aren’t good for baby either because she’s been seeing your face for three days and now she’s bored of you.
60. It’s 7 AM.
|We were just about to step out for a walk.
61. She unlatched herself and now there’s no milk.
62. She doesn’t like the colour of your lipstick.
63. It’s July and it’s always raining.
64. You want her to sleep but she doesn’t.
65. Baby wants to go out of the house.
66. It’s 8:15 PM and you’ve delayed her bedtime by fifteen minutes.
67. She doesn’t want to sit upright anymore. Stop forcing it on her.
68. You went away for a few minutes to the bathroom and now she can’t find you.
69. You decided to lay her on the bed.
70. It’s August and there’s nothing interesting happening.
71. You gave her a massage.
72. You look pretty.
73. Your clothes aren’t soft enough.
74. It’s 8 AM and she’s been up for a few hours and wants to fall asleep but can’t, on her own.
75. You’ve just started watching your favourite show on TV.
76. It’s Friday and she doesn’t get what’s the big deal about TGIF.
77. Baby wants to be carried.
78. It’s September and her birthday is coming and she’s tired of posing.
79. You gave her a hug.
80. You put her in her rocking chair.
|No reason. Just felt like crying.
81. The bed creaked when you tried to move away from the sleeping baby and that woke her up and now she’s cranky.
82. You caught her just as she was trying to roll over and would’ve fallen off the bed.
83. You stopped her from chewing the edges of the mat that’s on the floor.
84. You got yourself waxed after three months and finally feel good about how you look.
85. You reluctantly handed her over to someone who wanted to hold her and how she’s pissed off that you didn’t stand up for her.
86. It’s October and it’s hot again.
87. Baby’s musical toy stopped making sounds.
88. It’s Christmas morning and you gave her her first Christmas present.
89. You turned the TV off.
90. You aren’t putting her clothes on fast enough after her bath.
91. It’s Saturday night and she knows her parents are waiting for her to fall asleep, so it’s the perfect time to wake up and cry.
92. It’s November and it’s not cold enough.
93. Baby had a bad dream.
94. You’re trying to clean her nostrils.
95. You didn’t let her lick the soap off her shoulders.
96. You’ve been trying to get her to go to sleep and she just won’t sleep so she’s cranky.
97. You gave her a bath.
98. You shut the door and it made a small noise.
99. It’s December and the year is almost over.
100. She slept well Saturday night, so she has to make up for that on Sunday night so her parents definitely get the Monday Blues.
101. Sometimes, there’s just no reason. Babies are weird.
|On Christmas morning.
Do you agree? Why do you think your baby cries? Let me know in the comments. 😉