We often start new years with a whole list of resolutions that, for many of us, fade away as the year progresses, and I say this from experience. Based on my past, I’ve realised that the reason(s) for that could be one or more or all of the following:
- My goals were overambitious
- I didn’t want to achieve them that bad
- I didn’t account for downtime / life-events to get in the way
- I wasn’t flexible enough to alter or modify my plans when the situation changed.
In 2019, I spent a lot of time with myself and I realised that I have no idea who I am any more. Motherhood changes everyone, and yes, it changed me too. While I am comfortable with some changes, love some of them, there are a few aspects that I’m not too thrilled about. So in the spirit of learning from the ghosts of New Years past, I am going to work on myself; work on honing what I like and changing what I don’t.
This year I’ve decided to be more realistic with my plans and more gentle with myself, in case things do not go as planned. And that’s why I’m going to take it one week at a time. I’m going to pick a word each week of the year and that’s going to be my theme for the week.
52 weeks and 26 letters seem like a magic combination, right? 13 is a prime number and yet with 24 hours a day, 12 months in a year, 60 minutes in an hour, 60 seconds in a minute (all multiples of 12) we ended up with 26 and 52. I’m not sure how many of you get excited by things like this one, but to me this means that a year has enough weeks to go around the alphabet twice. So for my love of all things letters, words, and numbers, I’m hoping to do this in two rounds, one word a week, starting from A, all the way up to Z. Twice.
And because I’ve neglected the artist in me quite a bit since we moved (mostly because almost ALL of my art and craft supplies are still in boxes, eek!), I’m going to draw, paint, or letter the word of the week. Some weeks, if I’m feeling too lazy, I’ll use the letter board. And when our house is done, I might not use paper at all (I can’t wait to show you this. Soon; very soon.) This way I get to be in touch with my art at least once a week while I work towards being a better version of myself.
Of course, I invite anyone interested to join me in doing this. Here’s what you have to do:
1. Every Wednesday, pick a word – A VERB – to complete this sentence:
Or pick whatever word you like. Make your own sentence that you’d like to complete in the first half of the year.
2. For week 1, the word must start with A, for week 2 – B, week 3 – C, and so on. For example: In 2020 I want to admire (for week 1), bake (for week 2), care (for week 3), and so on.
3. Create an Instagram Post. Draw, Write, paint, use a letter board, illustrate with pen and paper or digitally using a software or an app, and post the image of your artwork on Instagram. Or not. Post any picture you like and mention the word in the caption.
4. In the caption, share why you chose the word and how you plan to incorporate it in your life that week. For example: Admire – this week I want to admire the little things, Bake – I want to bake more this week, Care – I want to take care of myself this week, and so on.
5. Use #WordoftheWeek2020. (IMPORTANT)
6. Tag me in the caption if you like @beingmammabear. (OPTIONAL)
Remember to check out the hashtag to see what others have shared and leave them some love ❤
There is NO DEADLINE for this. You can post on Wednesday, or Thursday, or any other day. You can do all weeks, or skip weeks. You can catch up or not. It’s totally up to you. Just remember to have fun.
Let’s do this. First post is coming up tomorrow 🙂